As you learned in a previous tutorial, you can reposition and move icons on your iPad Home screens, and you can even add and remove icons and apps to or from the "dock", the piece of translucent glass at the bottom of the screen. In this tutorial, we will show you how to remove icons and apps from the dock, either to clear it, or to make room for another app you want to see on the dock. Ideal candidates for apps you keep on the dock are those you use all the time, since they will always be visible, regardless of the Home screen you happen to be on - in other words, not having to flick through screen after screen of apps!
Move an app icon out of the dock, without deleting it
Here are the steps to follow to remove an app from your iPad dock:
- Once you are holding your iPad, click on the Home button to show your Home screen, and you'll see your dock, and all the apps it contains (up to six icons, total number - even in "landscape" mode).
- Press and hold your finger for 2 to 3 seconds on any of the icons visible on screen, and they will soon start "wiggling" and shaking.
- At that point, you'll know that you can start moving icons around, and even uninstall apps from your iPad.
- Now press and hold your finger on the icon to remove from the dock, and start dragging it away; if the app you want to remove from the dock is an "uninstall-able" app, keep your finger away from its "close" button.
- Keep dragging the app, and drop it at the new location you want for it, either on the currently selected Home screen, or on another one (how to move apps / icons to another iPad Home screen).
- Once you have removed the app from the dock, and placed it in the new location of your choice, press the Home button on the case of your iPad to exit "wiggling" mode and return to the normal icons.
Now that you have freed a spot on your iPad's dock, you can either leave it empty, or place a new icon / app in its place, this is entirely up to you. Your iPad will let you have a completely empty dock, but this is kind of a wasted opportunity!