Unless you have disabled WiFi on your iPad, it will automatically use the network you have added (like your wireless home at home, work, on campus, etc.) - as soon as that network is out of range, your iPad will "roam" to find other signals. If you are at a public place that offers free wireless internet, for example, you will want to "join" their network to be able to use their connection. In this tutorial, we will show you how to join a secure or unsecured wireless network with your iPad.
Join a wireless network in range on your iPad
Follow these steps to join a WiFi network:
- When your iPad is turned on, flick through your Home screens until you find the "Settings" icon - then tap on it.
- It will automatically load the "General" preferences: you can directly tap on "Network" on the right, and then choose "Wi-Fi". Your iPad will display all available wireless networks in range; simply tap on the name of the WiFi network you want to add or join.
- If the network you chose is unprotected, you will automatically be on it and able to use its connection right away.
- If the network is secured, you will need to enter a password: hit Cancel to return to the network listing, or type the password and hit "Join" (on-screen keyboard). If you are using an external keyboard, press Enter / Return.
- If you entered the correct password, you will now be using that network's connection.
Add a wireless network to your iPad
You can also manually add a network connection that your iPad will save, along with password (if one is required).
- Tap on the "Other" button at the bottom of the network listing.
- Type the name of the wireless network you want to add.
- If this network is unsecured (no password required), hit "Join" - or Return / Enter on an external keyboard.
- Otherwise, tap on "Security", and choose WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA Enterprise, or WPA2 Enterprise (if you are unsure, the most common types of security protocol are WEP (not so safe) or WPA).
- Then, tap on "Other Network" to return to the previous screen, and enter the password.
- Finally, tap on "Join" to add this network to your iPad. You will now be able to start using this network when it is in range (available), and your iPad will no longer ask for a password.
This is all you need to do to temporarily join a wireless network, or add a network profile to your iPad.